An interior French Drain Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An interior French Drain Question

I have a couple of questions...I will be installing an interior french drain in a month or two, and am currently researching, but not finding any answers to some questions I have...

Backround: Basement, during very heavy weather (2-3X a year) will take on minimal water, mostly at slab/block joint, same place every time...a trickle that runs and I get small puddles here and there as the slab must not be perfectly level. However, it seems once a year (like the 8 day Nor'easter we had this fall) I do get a decent amount of water in the basement...like 1/2, maybe 3/4 of an inch that pooled on the opposite side of the leak, while, ironically, the leaky side, at least closest to the wall was mostly dry. (Again, slab not level) During these big storms, I get water from the same spot, as well as thru a crack in the slab (almost deadass center of the basement), I suppose from hydrostatic pressure as the water table rises. I actually saw it one time, a litte 1/4" guyser in the middle of the crack.

Also...the block wall where the leak is has a vertical crack...nothing overt, and the wall is fair on a very long straight edge, there is no buckling or anything to that point.

So, had a party new years eve, a friend brought a friend of a friend who does this for a living...he said I needed weep holes into the french drain to alleviate the pressure that caused the crack... OK, makes sense to me. And while he explained it all in detail, detail was...somehow...lost as it was about 4:15 in the morning at that point.

While I'm solid on the installation of the drain & sump.....

Can anybody elaborate on the installation of weep holes?

My brother and I will be doing this ourselves, we'll probably get a few Mexicans to help with the heavy, dirty stuff...I'm just trying to get all my ducks in a row before I dive into this thing.

Thanks in advance for any help!

to bleed or not to bleed

my opinion on bleeder holes is....if you have water seaping out of the wall..then bleed the blocks in that immediate area, maybe 2,3, maybe 4 bleeders. if you can't do the course that's below the floor due to it being filled with concrete, then go into the next course and use flashing on the wall. i do not recommend bleeding all blocks around the whole perimeter.
    Last edited by BasementQuestions; 04-21-2009, 02:31 PM. Reason: improper language

Comment

I've seen both work.

Normally 1 Weep hole will be cut first. The first sign of mud, silt, or any other soil, then weep holes will only help to clog the system faster.

Me personally? I don't suggest them.

Comment

Working...
      X