Do I have a monolithic floor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I have a monolithic floor?

I've had a few contractors out for WP quotes. I have cinder block foundation walls that look like they sit on top of the slab which makes me think it's monolithic. There is a full block showing/sitting on top of the slab. At the same time, the morter under the full block looks a little thick so I'm not at all completely sure the block is really sitting on a monolithic slab.

Does any one know how to really tell without breaking up the floor up?

The reason I really need to know is that I have one guy saying to use the "baseboard" sytle around the edges while the other (even if it's monolithic) will jack hammer a few inches from the wall. This second one has me nervous because I worry that the walls/foundation will be compromised.

If I go with the trench method do weep holes need to be put in? or the baseboard system for that matter? I worry about creating an active water flow into the basement that I don't currently have. I really just have lite seeping? Does it defeat the systems to not have weep holes?

I would really appreciate some expert opinions?

Thanks from the novice!
    Last edited by JJJ3; 12-02-2006, 08:26 PM.

Block foundations can't be monolithic

You can't have a monolithic floor with a block foundation. I have been in the waterproofing/foundation inspection business for about 12 years now and I have seen 1 monolithic floor in my career.

Monolithic floors are very thick, the reason being is that the floor, footing and foundation is poured at essentially the same time, creating one seamless piece of concrete.

If you are having seepage issues, it's probably because of the block. Block foundations are hollow, having 2-4 hollow "chambers" if you will. Even though the blocks were staggered as they build your wall, if you took your house off of the foundation, you could look down those holes and see the footing at the bottom since the chambers actually line up perfectly. Since they are hollow, they tend to collect and fill with water, especially the lower blocks.

The best way to waterproof a block wall is an exterior dig, waterproof with the walls with fibrated mastic, heavy plastic on top of that, drain tile in a trench that runs down hill and 1 inch river rock in the channel around the tile.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
    X