Need help with Basement Wall/Insulation options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with Basement Wall/Insulation options

am a recent first time homebuyer, after 7 months in this 5yr old construction, i have noted trouble in the basement with moisture on the foundation block wall at multiple spots. I have ripped out the existing insulation to figure out a solution for this. After having a couple of professionals look, i have decided to let one contractor drill weep holes in the block and place a viny covering upto 6inches onto the block wall and apply 2 coats of commercial grade waterproofing on the walls. The basement is equipped with sump pump, drain tiles and a floating slab.
    My dilemma is what to do once this work is done in regards to finishing my basement. Talking to different people meant i received contrasting solutons.
    1. Do i use a vapor barrier like plastic, before framing & insulation?
    2. What kind of insulation do i choose?
    3. Do i use Dry wall? is there any economical alternatives to dry wall in regards to wall options?
    4. In regards to flooring on basement, what is the recommended approach?

Vapor Barriers are needed.

If vapor barrier is to be installed, and in any finishing project I feel it should be, it NEEDS to be connected to a closed-back interior drain system.

The moisture won't be trapped if there is a drain to remove it from the basement. This vapor barrier can then protect the insulation from having moisture ruin the batting. R-9 to R-13 is code insulation to have. (Depends on state).

The vapor barrier is essential in separating the basement environment from the outside environment that emanates through the concrete walls.

Vapor Barrier + Drain THEN, 1-1.5" gap for air circulation, THEN metal studs with insulation, then a Moisture resistant wall board.

By not installing a vapor barrier you leave yourself open to water leaks, air leaks, rod tie leaks, and other air cycle permeation that can bring with it moisture.

Only 1% moisture content can render insulation 95% inefficient.

Comment

Working...
    X