Basement Questions and Answers  

Go Back   Basement Questions and Answers > For Her: Ask Rhonda Some Basement Questions > Foundation Waterproofing

#1   IP: 204.78.172.3
Old 08-23-2005, 03:44 PM
tjcaputo

Inside vs. Outside waterproofing

Every time it rained heavily, I would get a small trickle of water from a crack in one wall of my basement. I had Insta-Dry put in one of their inside waterproofing drainage systems that leads to the sump pump, and I haven't seen any water since.

Now that I am selling the home, the new buyers want me to have the side of the house dug-up and fix the tiles on the outside of the house. I don't think this is necessary and feel totally comfortable with the repair already completed.

Does anyone have any good evidence or reputable articles explaining inside repairs as being superior to outside repairs?
  #2   IP: 165.121.208.66
Old 08-25-2005, 09:08 AM

Inside or Outside

Various waterproofing methods are designed to achieve a certain goal. Perception is everything. Yours and Insta-Dry's perception is that goal of stopping the water from running onto the floor which has been accomplished.

The home buyer's perception is that it makes logical sense to stop the water before is enters the crack. However, water entering a crack may or may not have anything to do with the draintiles.

There are opinions both ways, but to my knowledge no un-biased opinions of why one method is better than the other. This is why both methods are currently used and accepted.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: