Basement Questions and Answers  

Go Back   Basement Questions and Answers > For Her: Ask Rhonda Some Basement Questions > Foundation Waterproofing

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
  #1   IP: 152.163.100.67
Old 02-21-2006, 07:54 PM
Sam Buffa

Inside or Outside Waterproofing

I am currently reviewing estimates for basement waterproofing from members of your group.

My home is a block basement under a home built in the 1920's. I am getting water in from the areas where the walls meet the floor. Otherwise I am getting water in from one area but in general I have a general water issues.

The debate is what system to get done. Interior or Exterior Waterproofing. The interior guys are promoting inside drain tiles devertied to a sump pump area. You know the exterior system.

My main concern is with the interior system using the existing blocks as a type of filter. Water coming from the outside and going threw the block to the drain tile in the inside of the house. WILL THIS CAUSE ANY LONG TERM DAMAGE TO THE FOOTING AND/OR THE BOTTOM BLOCKS WHERE THEY DRILL THE HOLES?? I AM CONCERNED THAT THE DAMAGED WALLS AND FOOTINGS WILL BE DAMAGED MORE.

Could you lend some professional advice as to what are the cause and effects of interior waterproofing compared to exterior waterproofing? You could use my contacts below. You can reference email or web site info also.

Thanks you in advance...Great web site...I will be using one of your contractors.

Sam Buffa
5060 St. Clair Highway
China Township, MI 48054
Cell 586-201-1908
Home 810-326-1822
  #2   IP: 207.69.137.6
Old 02-27-2006, 08:42 AM

Interior vs Exterior debate

The Interior vs Exterior debate continues;

To say water in the block causes no future problems is misleading. To say it will fall over is also misleading.

Masonry foundation walls are like sponges. They absorb moisture and water. It is the minerals and alkali that attack the silica in concrete masonry.

Allow the walls to breath and it is minimized. The worst thing to do is paint the walls with a non-breathable paint. As these vapors are trying to escape they are trapped which is why you see paint peeling and mold-discoloration forming.

I could go on and on, for more information search in Questions and Section of this site or visit askthebuilder.com under interior vs exterior.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: